Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 2 Reflection


Today was day 1 of week 2 in my first grade classroom, and it is getting better!  The students are beginning to realize that first grade is not the same as kindergarten.  They are learning that there is no rest time, working diligently is a requirement, and there is little free play.  However, there are still a select few students who continue to try our patience, lack motivation, and have no willpower to try to do their work.  On a good note though, I have learned that just by being with these students for a mere 48 hours of instructional time, I have already discovered a great deal of information about them.  I have learned about some of their strengths and weaknesses, I know who cannot stand in line with one another, and I have gotten to know their personalities.  It is these discoveries that make me so passionate about teaching.  You never know what child will walk through your classroom door on the first day of school, and that child may be the most inspiring child you will ever meet.  Although I am teaching the students a lot of information, those students are teaching me countless information as well.
______
Today is Thursday, and the only thought in my head at the moment is….exhaustion!  Those little ones sure can tucker a teacher out when they’re not used to it.  However, despite the exhaustion, I have learned countless things this week.  I have learned that discipline is something that you gradually have to implement into your classroom, although it is important to get to the true problem-children early on in the year.  My host-teacher also gave me a great idea earlier this week regarding how to report poor behavior to parents.  She said to me, “If a child is interrupting my time, then I will interrupt the parents’ time by calling them in the evening during family time.”  This statement made so much sense, and I think it is a great strategy to think about using in my future teaching.  Parents/guardians will be more apt to talking to the child right after that phone call, than if a phone call is made earlier in the day.  Therefore, that statement is something I will definitely remember as I start my first year of teaching.
This week I also learned valuable lessons about myself as a teacher.  I learned that no one is perfect, and as a teacher I will make mistakes.  For instance, calling a student by their older siblings name more than three times in the same day, or miss-stating a line in a book and the students immediately catch it!  The young minds in this classroom cease to amaze me.  I learn something new every day from them all; whether it is information from the student interviews, or simply just having a brief conversation with them when they first get into the classroom.  This has taught me that it is extremely important to get to know your students as quickly as possible.  Already I can sense when one of the students is upset, or not feeling well, or if they seem to be having an off-day. 
Another valuable lesson I learned this week is the fact that a teacher may try to plan ahead, but in some way, shape or form, something in those plans will be changed.  For me, these plans have been involving my action research topic.  I have had 3 different topic ideas, and there seems to be a bump in the road ahead causing me to have to turn around and go back to where I have started.  However, it has taught me to assess the entire situation in a new light.  I have learned that no matter what, I will choose something that will benefit these students in some way.  Even if it does not work for all of them, I am bound to help a few of them in some way.  Therefore, I will continue to ponder about my topic ideas and I know one day soon I will know exactly what to do for this project—the students may even give me the answer in their own way.
________
One other lesson I learned this week is…always wash your hands and use sanitizer frequently throughout the school day.  Especially in the beginning of the year!  This is true because the germs are flying all across the school in the beginning and teachers are bound to catch some type of bug!  Also, a note to my own self for the future is to remember to take that vitamin C to build my immune system! 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, you are learning so much! It makes me proud to stand back and watch you teach the students. Some of the points you brought out in these reflections show your dedication and determination to become the best you can be as a teacher. Always remember that no matter how long you have done something, there are still things for you to learn. Also, please remember that each and every child is unique and different. Each one of these special little ones have their own unique combinations of strengths and weaknesses. It is our job as teachers to find what motivates each and everyone of them. No matter what! We must guide them to learn all they can and see that they can do it! Although some come quicker and others are naturally pleasers, as a teacher, it is our job to reach every single one of them on their level and inspire them to become the best that they can be. You have already become a very insightful educator! Just take courage and know that change and new beginnings are stressful and difficult for all involved, but the growth you see is well worth it all!

    ReplyDelete