Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 12 Reflection

During the course of my 12th week in my first grade classroom, I had a moment where I began to realize my internship is coming to an end. After teaching these students for the past 12 weeks, it really makes my heart sink. I have become so attached to these students and I am not looking forward to the moment when I have to leave the classroom door for the last time this semester. I get tears in my eyes now just thinking about it.

Last year I would talk to the interns at our monthly gatherings and they would always tell us that we would learn so much and not want to leave our internship placement, but back in those days it just seemed "impossible" to think that way. However, with only 4 weeks remaining, I can truly understand where they were coming from when they would say those things. However, on the other hand, this entire experience has shown me that I can handle anything and I will be able to have my own classroom without a doubt. I always have some new experience each week, and it just proves to me that although I may teach the same grade for several years, there will never be a day that is just like another! Kids always have surprises up their sleeves, and you always have to keep on your toes because you just never know what might happen next!

I am extremely thankful for every second I spend within the classroom because it just amazes me how much I learn on a daily basis. I have also begun to realize that teaching is exactly what I want to do for the next 30+ years! For the past 2.5 years I have worked part-time at Pier 1 Imports while going to college and lately as I work on the weekends I think to myself, "Thank goodness I won't be doing THIS forever!" Each time I am at work I find myself waiting for the excitement to happen, except it never does. This helps reassure me that I have made the right decision by entering the education field...especially since at one time I had thought about entering the business realm. But now after teaching for 3 months, I know I have made the right decision by sticking with elementary education! I cannot wait to get my own classroom someday soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment