Wow! It is hard to believe that my first week of my intern year is already over! It amazes me how different it actually turned out to be than what I imagined. First of all, teaching first grade students is something entirely different than what I am used to, so it is going to take me a while to learn how to approach them, instruct them, and understand the way their minds work. However, I have a feeling that I am going to absolutely love this semester.
On the very first day of school, the children all came in with timid faces on. They were scared and nervous, and they seemed so overwhelmed! However, once the morning began, our morning criers began to cheer up, the smiles turned on, and the learning began. Yes, there were quite a few behavior issues, but this understandable and expected for such young children on the first day of school. I was very impressed with myself though, because by the time we had to load the students onto the buses, had every child’s name matched to their face.
On the second day this week, it was an absolute nightmare. We had countless behavioral issues, some children were refusing to do their work, and we had several just say to us, “I give up! I’m not working anymore.” This broke my heart because I saw the lack of motivation within these students. Grant it, there are several students who are hard-workers and who are in that classroom because they are excited about learning. But, until we get everyone or at least a majority of the students onto that same page, we will struggle to teach these students.
On Wednesday, we had our first fire drill. It did not even cross my mind that a 1st grade might be frightened by the drill itself. It was difficult for a few to understand that a drill means it is just for practice. So I have learned that this is something that I want to address to my students on the first day of school so that they understand what exactly will be going on. I also realized that you have to give students a couple of days to get acclimated to their classroom environment, and the teacher as well. By allowing them to do so, it allows the students to build up their comfort levels and they begin to listen, cause fewer behavioral issues, and the overall atmosphere within the classroom setting is much calmer.
On Thursday this week, I had a completely new experience altogether. My mentor-teacher was absent which meant there was a substitute present. Well, the substitute was told by my mentor-teacher to basically allow me to have the reigns of the classroom, and to just assist me when needed. Although I was a little nervous about how well this full day of teaching would go, I was very surprised with how it eventually turned out. My students began to see me as an authority figure and it was by far a very rewarding and amazing feeling to have the classroom in my own hands. I was truly surprised with how well I handled my first day on my own, especially beings that it was only the first week of my internship!
There was one thing that I learned by teaching all day, and that is attention spans begin to minimize as the day gets closer to an end. First graders have very small attention spans in relation to the 5th graders I taught last year. So, I have come to the realization that I am going to have to learn to take mini breaks with the students to get them back on track. I can do this by singing a song, reading a short story, or even just having the students get up to take a bathroom break. However, this was a very valuable lesson to learn so early on in my internship; because I have a feeling it is something I will need to remember in the upcoming weeks!
On Friday, my first graders were rather rambunctious! They knew the weekend was around the corner, and I am not going to lie, there were far too many behavioral issues. The students stayed on task for a majority of the day but I soon learned that they were just as exhausted from their first week of school as I was too. I also learned that as much as I love to be the nice teacher, there will be numerous times that the students will have to learn that I am the boss of the classroom and therefore they need to listen to their teacher. I think the students see me as a teacher’s aide at the moment, but hopefully soon they will understand that I am a teacher too and I should earn the same respect that they give their own classroom teacher. So, this is something that I will be sure to work on with them in the upcoming weeks.
Overall, I am very pleased with how well the first week has turned out. My students are all very interesting to learn about and I am greatly looking forward to getting to know each and every one of them. I can already tell that it is going to be very difficult to leave them when December comes along! I am looking forward to next week!
Stephanie, I am pleased with your performance when I see you "out and about" with the first graders. It has to be so rewarding working with them; they have such enthusiasm! You definitely are correct about their behavior! They have to understand that you are in charge, too. Thanks for your help at tutor orientation. Also, looking forward to next week.
Stephanie, I feel confident that you are going to have a very rewarding and eye-opening experience with our first grade students. Although there are good days and bad days, we must remember it is our job to bring out the best in each and everyone of them. I am so impressed by the way you are able and willing to just jump right in and team teach with me. It is my desire for the students to see us as equals in the classroom. They must learn that no matter what adult speaks to them; they must listen and obey. I am very impressed with your first week intern activities. I believe that you are well on your way to being a highly effective teacher. Just remember that we must take every child on the level they are and motivate them to advance as far as they possibly can. We must stay on the same page and be a united team with them. Take heart it is difficult for us seasoned teachers at times, too. Just sit back, re-evaluate things and jump right back in there to do all you can to help them make the best better! Can't wait to see you in the morning.
Wow! It is hard to believe that my first week of my intern year is already over! It amazes me how different it actually turned out to be than what I imagined. First of all, teaching first grade students is something entirely different than what I am used to, so it is going to take me a while to learn how to approach them, instruct them, and understand the way their minds work. However, I have a feeling that I am going to absolutely love this semester.
ReplyDeleteOn the very first day of school, the children all came in with timid faces on. They were scared and nervous, and they seemed so overwhelmed! However, once the morning began, our morning criers began to cheer up, the smiles turned on, and the learning began. Yes, there were quite a few behavior issues, but this understandable and expected for such young children on the first day of school. I was very impressed with myself though, because by the time we had to load the students onto the buses, had every child’s name matched to their face.
On the second day this week, it was an absolute nightmare. We had countless behavioral issues, some children were refusing to do their work, and we had several just say to us, “I give up! I’m not working anymore.” This broke my heart because I saw the lack of motivation within these students. Grant it, there are several students who are hard-workers and who are in that classroom because they are excited about learning. But, until we get everyone or at least a majority of the students onto that same page, we will struggle to teach these students.
On Wednesday, we had our first fire drill. It did not even cross my mind that a 1st grade might be frightened by the drill itself. It was difficult for a few to understand that a drill means it is just for practice. So I have learned that this is something that I want to address to my students on the first day of school so that they understand what exactly will be going on. I also realized that you have to give students a couple of days to get acclimated to their classroom environment, and the teacher as well. By allowing them to do so, it allows the students to build up their comfort levels and they begin to listen, cause fewer behavioral issues, and the overall atmosphere within the classroom setting is much calmer.
ReplyDeleteOn Thursday this week, I had a completely new experience altogether. My mentor-teacher was absent which meant there was a substitute present. Well, the substitute was told by my mentor-teacher to basically allow me to have the reigns of the classroom, and to just assist me when needed. Although I was a little nervous about how well this full day of teaching would go, I was very surprised with how it eventually turned out. My students began to see me as an authority figure and it was by far a very rewarding and amazing feeling to have the classroom in my own hands. I was truly surprised with how well I handled my first day on my own, especially beings that it was only the first week of my internship!
There was one thing that I learned by teaching all day, and that is attention spans begin to minimize as the day gets closer to an end. First graders have very small attention spans in relation to the 5th graders I taught last year. So, I have come to the realization that I am going to have to learn to take mini breaks with the students to get them back on track. I can do this by singing a song, reading a short story, or even just having the students get up to take a bathroom break. However, this was a very valuable lesson to learn so early on in my internship; because I have a feeling it is something I will need to remember in the upcoming weeks!
On Friday, my first graders were rather rambunctious! They knew the weekend was around the corner, and I am not going to lie, there were far too many behavioral issues. The students stayed on task for a majority of the day but I soon learned that they were just as exhausted from their first week of school as I was too. I also learned that as much as I love to be the nice teacher, there will be numerous times that the students will have to learn that I am the boss of the classroom and therefore they need to listen to their teacher. I think the students see me as a teacher’s aide at the moment, but hopefully soon they will understand that I am a teacher too and I should earn the same respect that they give their own classroom teacher. So, this is something that I will be sure to work on with them in the upcoming weeks.
Overall, I am very pleased with how well the first week has turned out. My students are all very interesting to learn about and I am greatly looking forward to getting to know each and every one of them. I can already tell that it is going to be very difficult to leave them when December comes along! I am looking forward to next week!
Stephanie, I am pleased with your performance when I see you "out and about" with the first graders. It has to be so rewarding working with them; they have such enthusiasm! You definitely are correct about their behavior! They have to understand that you are in charge, too. Thanks for your help at tutor orientation. Also, looking forward to next week.
ReplyDeleteStephanie, I feel confident that you are going to have a very rewarding and eye-opening experience with our first grade students. Although there are good days and bad days, we must remember it is our job to bring out the best in each and everyone of them. I am so impressed by the way you are able and willing to just jump right in and team teach with me. It is my desire for the students to see us as equals in the classroom. They must learn that no matter what adult speaks to them; they must listen and obey. I am very impressed with your first week intern activities. I believe that you are well on your way to being a highly effective teacher. Just remember that we must take every child on the level they are and motivate them to advance as far as they possibly can. We must stay on the same page and be a united team with them. Take heart it is difficult for us seasoned teachers at times, too. Just sit back, re-evaluate things and jump right back in there to do all you can to help them make the best better! Can't wait to see you in the morning.
ReplyDelete