Sunday, August 29, 2010

Action Research

Day 1

I successfully completed my first session of Touch Math with my group of 7 students. This group of students are among the lower leveled students in the subject area of math. However, there are a few students who are more than likely higher but they do not apply themselves. The first thing I did with the Touch Math method today was allowing the students to investigate their foam Touch numbers that I created for them. In each bag, I created the numbers 0 through 9 and I put whole punch size dots on each number where the Touch location is found. The 6 and the 9 look identical, therefore I knew this would be a difficult concept for the students to understand. So, in order to help alleviate the confusion, I made the 6 in every child's tool bag a different color than the remaining numbers. This was something that one of the students commented on right away.

The students were asked to observe the contents within their bag without opening it up and putting all of them on the table. By doing so, they discovered that the numbers had dots on them, and some of those dots had other dots (or paint as they called it) on others. So, I had them all think about this and tell me why they think the dots are on the numbers. To help them with the concept, I brought out the numbers in the correct order, smallest to largest, and the student counted the amount of dots on them. The numbers 1 through 5 have their exact amount of individual dots on them. However, 6 through 9 have dots with the painted dots on them as well. So together as a whole group, I discussed with them that if there is a paint dot on the foam dot, then they will need to touch that dot twice. I was slightly worried about how the students would understand this concept, but to my dismay the students picked up on the concept really well. Before I knew it, the students pulled out their foam numbers and they were lining them up in the correct number order. Then they were investigating the dots that were placed on them. While they were investigating, I decided to ask one student at a time to touch the dots/points on a few numbers. I used 5 and 7 for this part, and the students really understood what was going on. One student struggled with it, but he was touching the very first dot 7 times instead of moving, so at least I know that he understands the number concepts.

Overall, this first day experience was fantastic. I cannot wait to get started on the rest of my study. I truly feel that this method is going to help this students and allow to soar once they start addition and subtraction. So...let the study begin!

1 comment:

  1. Oct. 6th

    Today I handed out a worksheet to my students and at the very top of it there were 3 addition problems. These problems were very simplistic, but these were the first problems my Touch Math students I have been conducting my study on have seen without the touch points on them. So, I paid close attention to these students. I was so pleased and so proud to see that about 5 out of 7 of the students from my group put their touch points onto their numbers on the page. I LOVED seeing this on their papers! It was so exciting because not only were they placed correctly, but that means that they have learned the skill AND they know how to apply it in other times other than just during our touch math time. I am still smiling because this was such a fabulous observation!!! :) I cannot wait to see how their first addition sheet will turn out.

    ReplyDelete